Phyllanthus cuscutiflorus

January 4, 2014

If you’re new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!Botanical: Phyllanthus cuscutiflorus  Common: Pink Phyllanthus Family: Euphorbiaceae From the moist lowland rainforests of the Iron Range to Mulgrave River growing alongside streams, comes this hardy shrub to small tree (3-4m tall). The dense habit, impressive flushes of new growth […]

Read the full article →

Torch Ginger

November 2, 2013

Etingera elatior Synonym: Nicolaia elatior Undoubtedly one of the most stunning tropical plants within the ginger family, Zingiberaceae. Native to the monsoonal tropical forests of Indomalaysia, it has been found to be both tolerant and flowering in subtropical districts such as Brisbane and further south to Sydney. The more ‘southern’ the location, the more care […]

Read the full article →

Trailing Abutilon

October 2, 2013

Trailing Abutilon (Abutilon megapotamicum) This subtropical shrub from Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay is known to reach two metres tall but is more commonly seen as a low growing trailing plant cascading over embankments or in hanging baskets. The plant has soft woody stems making pruning easy. It is easily pruned to shape – the more […]

Read the full article →

Tropical Gardening

August 25, 2013

Starting any garden has challenges. Starting a new garden in a new climate adds even more challenges – what grows here, what do I have to do, how do I start, OMG – what have I got myself into??? After a peaceful cup of coffee or tea, or a stiff spirit, the best advice is […]

Read the full article →

DIFM or DIY gardening

November 14, 2012

DIFM – Do It For Me DIY – Do It Yourself DNAA – Do Nothing At All DIFM allows gardeners who are physically incapacitated to enjoy the delights of gardening. The mind may still be keen but the body may limit that activity. There are other valid DIFM situations as well. Employing a professional landscaper […]

Read the full article →

Gardening events

January 15, 2012

Attending a gardening event is more than just buying plants. To the social climber.. its about being seen at a ‘green’ event and having the nod of approval by the general population. A lesson all politicians could do with. For the fashion models.. its time to find out that food is about things that are […]

Read the full article →

Health Benefits of Green Space

October 30, 2011

Health Benefits  Human health also benefits from properly maintained green space: Recreation – Green spaces provide ideal surfaces for a variety of recreational and sports activity and high use activities including parks and playgrounds. Increased Physical Activity/Reducing Obesity – Access to green space is an important predictor of increased physical activity (“active living”) and reduced […]

Read the full article →

Green Space Benefits

October 30, 2011

Environmental Benefits Healthy, properly maintained green space provides significant benefits to the environment in terms of water and air quality: Erosion Control and Run-Off Prevention – One of most significant functions of green space is to stabilize and protect the soil against water and wind erosion. This is particularly important in preventing nutrient run-off. Healthy, […]

Read the full article →

Ardisia crenata

October 28, 2011

Botanical: Ardisia crenata Common: Coralberry Plant, Spiceberry Family: Primulaceae Synonym: Ardisia crenulata Tropical shrubs and small trees from Asia and South America, the genus Ardisia has around 300 species. Few however have come into ornamental cultivation. The evergreen Ardisia crenata is native to southern China, southeast Asia, southern Japan, Malaysia and Philippines, found naturally as […]

Read the full article →

Indigofera decora

October 1, 2011

Indigofera decora Family: Fabaceae Sometimes called Summer Wisteria or Chinese Indigo, it is a soft stemmed low growing plant that has a suckering habit. Leaves and flowers are reminiscent of a wisteria plant, hence the common name. It is native to China, Hong Kong, Japan and the Philippines. Its ease of culture has resulted in […]

Read the full article →